Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hummus...my way....



I have eaten a lot of hummus in my life but I must say...my family's recipe is seriously the BEST! I don't like hummus that has a lot going on in it....it shouldn't have tons of tahini in it and I don't like it with lemon juice in it! (I know the Greeks put lemon juice in theirs...but I prefer mine more Middle Eastern style). I made a big tray of hummus for a party tonight and even people who don't like hummus were eating it. So try this recipe....even if you "don't like hummus!" The following recipe feeds about 15-20 people...divide it in half if you just want some hummus in the fridge for yourself for the week.

Avesta Hummus
4 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas) drained but reserve 1 cup of the juice for later

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic or granulated garlic powder (if you're going to be eating it right away use fresh garlic but if you want to refrigerate the hummus for up to a week, I recommend using granulated garlic powder)

1 tablespoon white pepper

2 tablespoon tahini

salt to taste

In a food processor or blender, combine the garbanzo beans and the olive oil and 1/2 cup of the bean juice. Blend until smooth (about 2-3 minutes) Add the garlic, tahini, salt and pepper and mix until well blended. Add any more bean juice to get desired consistency. Taste to see if you need any more spices.

Spread the dip on a platter with some leaf lettuce underneath for decor. Drizzle olive oil on top and use peppers, tomato slices, or olives for garnish. Sprinkle either paprika or hot red pepper on top. Serve with fresh vegetable slices such as cucumbers and peppers and pita or tortilla chips.

I make my own pita chips by cutting up lavash bread (or tortillas if you can't find lavash or flat pita bread) into triangles, drizzling them with olive oil and sprinkling them with some kosher salt and pepper. I bake them in the oven for 4-5 mintues on 375 degrees (flipping once half way through). These are yummy and much better for you than fried chips! Plus you can sprinkle other spices such as dried basil or parsely or garlic powder on them for added flavor!


2 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I've been making hummus for about 26 yrs now. I always put lemon juice in it. I'm glad you share your recipe and I will try it. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I totally agree--your hummus is the best.