Monday, October 13, 2008

Moroccan Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

For some odd reason the Fall season puts me in the mood for Moroccan food. I love the smell of those spices when it starts to get cool outside. Moroccan food is not so much spicy, but full of spices. Don't get me wrong, Moroccan food does have a kick to it but it's not that burn your mouth style that so many people are afraid to try....that's more Tunisian style food...which I love...but I love burn your mouth spicy!!! So because I've been thinking about ethnic comfort foods, here's one recipe that always comes up when I'm needing a little comfort....ethnic style!



Grilled Moroccan Chicken with Sweet Potatoes




Grilled Moroccan Chicken
4-6 chicken breasts (I used boneless this time but have used bone-in many times)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon all spice or cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 olive oil


Combine olive oil, lemon juice, and all spices in a bowl. Place chicken in a shallow baking dish and rub the marinade all over the chicken (both sides). Cover and place in fridge for at least one hour but best if 6 or more hours. Grill chicken breasts over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes on each side or until done.
Moroccan Sweet Potatoes:
3-4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed small
Pinch of saffron (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the butter with the honey and brown sugar and toss with the sweet potato cubes in a bowl. Sprinkle with the rest of the seasonings, toss again and spread evenly in a baking dish. Roast in the oven at 375 degrees until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.


This is such a great combo because the chicken is a little spicy and the sweet potatoes are sweet and buttery. I also served some grilled asparagus with my meal to add some color and I adore grilled asparagus with just about anything!

For my asparagus I just tossed the aspargus with 2 tablespoons olive oil that was mixed with 1 tablespoon chopped garlic. I sprinkled a little salt and pepper on top and grilled the spears for 3-4 minutes.

No comments: