Thursday, July 31, 2008

Minty Drink for Summer




I love mojitos and have been making them for years. I love that they are all the rage now and are offered in every flavor you could ever imagine. Sitting on my deck...sipping on a minty mojito just makes me happy. Here's my recipe that I used at my restaurant for years. You can add any flavor to this recipe to make it new and hip (i.e. mango...raspberry or my favorite pomegranate).

Avesta Mojito
6-8 fresh mint leaves
2 Tablespoons sugar
2-4 oz. light rum
Juice of 1 lime
dash roses lime juice
Club soda
Ice


You'll need a high ball glass or any taller cocktail glass you've got... tear up all but one or two of the mint leaves and put in the bottom of the glass, add the sugar and half of the lime juice, use the end of a wooden spoon or what they call a mojito pestle or muddler to mash up the mint with the sugar and lime juice. Once this mixture is blended and the smell of the mint is too good to hold off anymore....add ice about one inch from the rim of the glass, then top with the rum and then finally the club soda and add the remainding lime juice and the dash of roses lime juice. Garnish with a lime and the leftover mint leaves. Do a little stir with your finger or straw and enjoy your summer day!


For great Mojito sets and muddlers go to:
the first picture above is a set of glasses that I bought from here....all drinks look great in these glasses but especially mojitos!
the second picture above is the mango mojitos that I made for my wedding reception...they were a huge hit!!!

No comments: