Monday, September 15, 2008

Authentic Mexican Tomatillo Salsa

Maribel's Tomatillo Salsa
A few of the culprits
Yes...this salsa has avocado in it...
Another game day recipe.....
I was taught how to make this salsa from my favorite prep cook...Maribel. She is the most wonderful woman. My mother and I love her so much. She is such a hard worker and cares so much about doing a good job. She worked for us at our restaurant for four years and probably would've stayed years longer if we hadn't closed. She knew my love for Mexican food and would teach me how to make some pretty amazing dishes...most very simple...but all so good and authentic. The first thing she taught me was what she called a "must." This "must" was her family's tomatillo salsa. The first time she made it for me I was hooked! I loved the flavor and freshness. I never thought it would be so easy to make. Most tomatillo salsas require you to cook or roast or broil the tomatillos, not this recipe, which makes this salsa taste so fresh and tart. I make it for parties and always make sure to have enough to save for later because it is an amazing sauce on chicken and shrimp!
Maribel's Tomatillo Salsa:
6-8 tomatillos, husked and washed
2 avocados
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped Serrano Chile pepper
1 tablespoon chopped Jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon chopped Cayenne pepper
1 chopped Habanero pepper
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 lime, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup water
salt to taste

Make sure to wash your tomatillos well with warm water and cut them into chunks.

Also, make sure to cut your peppers open, take out the seeds and chop before adding to mixture.
Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for flavors to flourish. You can adjust how much water you use depending on how "saucy" you like your salsa. A good tip to get the juice out of a lemon or lime easily is to microwave the lemon or lime for about 10 seconds, let it sit for a couple seconds then slice open and squeeze. If you don't have or don't like all the different kinds of peppers, just use whatever you have, and adjust to how spicy you like your salsa. This is a pretty spicy recipe and this is using about half of the amount of peppers that Maribel used when she'd make it. I loved her salsa, but not many people could eat it...it was so spicy, so I adjusted it to make it a bit more bearable.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I make one that looks like yours but I only use tomatillos and jalapeno peppers an I boil them after there soft I put them in the blender add salt then I add a couple of drops of oil then ur done. It taste like it has lime juice an avacado in it