Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trying out Gluten-Free Pasta

Gluten Free, Wheat Free & Casein Free Organic Elbows
with Marinara & Steamed Broccoli



This gluten free pasta is even organic...BONUS!

Neither my son nor I have Celiac Disease, a disease where those who have it basically are allergic to gluten, therefore unable to eat wheat, barley & rye. But as a chef, I have come across so many people in the last few years who have asked me about gluten-free items and choices.

I am really interested in developing some homemade gluten-free recipes, especially with using rice flour as it is a staple in the Middle East. But for now, I am just trying to get to know more about the disease and as my son and I were walking through the grocery store the other day, he noticed pasta made of corn.

I love that my son is very interested in food, especially new foods and items that seem interesting. I've talked a little to him about Celiac Disease and he noticed that the bag said "gluten-free" so he definitely wanted to try the pasta because when I told him about the disease, he couldn't imagine living life without pasta, bread, cakes, etc. I explained to him that now there are many gluten-free choices out there and he seemed to still question the whole idea of living gluten-free.

I was excited to make the pasta because I wanted my son to realize that there is life without gluten, and if there is a dietary restriction of any kind, there are solutions and choices especially in today's day and age. And I love when he tries new things, it opens his mind and his taste buds, which I absolutely adore


Boils like regular pasta...but has this beautiful yellow color.

The final dish topped with a chunky marinara & shredded mozzarella & served with steamed broccoli.

Taste Test.......

......here goes.....

I think this is a good sign.....

So even though we are not allergic to gluten, I've been researching the benefits of eating gluten free. I may not completely go gluten free but hey, why not incorporate some gluten free items in our diet. And when gluten free looks like the dish below...I'm there!

No comments: