Friday, September 26, 2008

Plantains Foster

The star of the show

And the co-stars

They had a sale on plantains so I decided to buy a couple. I love plantains but rarely use them. Plantains are in the banana family but I guess you're not supposed to eat them raw. They have to be cooked to eat them and as they get riper, they get softer and sweeter. The ones I got were a bit ripe, but that was fine as I wanted to make a dessert with them anyways. I decided to make Plantains Foster...the rum in the cabinet was calling my name.....

They kinda look like banans don't they...

Avesta's Plantains Foster:
2 ripe plantains, cut in half then cut lengthwise
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 orange
1/4 cup spiced rum
butter pecan ice cream (really you have to try it with this ice cream)

Melt the butter and sugar in a heavy skillet over medium heat.

Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is turning golden.

Add the plantains and let them cook without disturbing for 2-3 minutes.

When you turn the plantains over they should be a nice golden brown and are caramelized. Let them cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.

Take the pan off the stove and add the rum. If you have a gas stove when you put the pan back on the stove, slightly tip the pan so that the mixture catches on fire. If you have an electric stove then use a long match or long lighter and catch the mixture on fire. Let the flames die out and and cook the mixture for about 2 mintues to let the alcohol evaporate.

I couldn't get the flames in the picture because it's such a quick step and I do all the cooking & photos myself. I'm saving for a better camera & tripod!

Turn the heat off and squeeze the orange juice all over the plantains.

Serve by placing the plantains around a scoop of the Butter Pecan ice cream and drizzling the sauce all over the top. You can top it off with whipped cream if you'd like.


See how nice and carmelized the plantains turned out...that brings out such yumminess!


You must try butter pecan ice cream with this recipe!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is; how do you make suck wonderful food, without the help of you front of house manager/potato masher/best girlfriend, Mikey?

I heard he was awesome.

Anonymous said...

that was supposed to read 'such' and not 'suck', but as usual, i've been drinking.

avesta said...

Oh Mikey how I miss you! It is tough cooking without you and having my best girlfriend around to complain to! I will be home in a few weeks...let's hang out!

Nora B. said...

The carmelized plantains does look very appealing! Can't seem to find plantains in the Sydney markets. Maybe I am not looking hard enough.

avesta said...

Thanks Nora for visiting my site. You can substitue bananas if you can't find plantains...but I do hope you can find them someday!

Tif said...

Nice! I've never had plantains cooked sweet before!